About The Position
About Center for Civilians in Conflict
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVCI) is a Washington, DC-based nonprofit, working on behalf of civilians in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
The Videography Internship:
An internship with CIVIC is a rigorous and rewarding experience, requiring strong organizational skills, experience in video editing, creativity, and focus. This internship will be shared by the Communications and Development teams to support the common goal of increasing the visibility of the organization through social media outlets using advanced graphics and videos. The videography intern will be an integral part of CIVIC's team, working side-by-side with experienced professionals to ensure the high quality of a variety of products designed to realize CIVIC’s vision: a world where parties to armed conflicts recognize the dignity and rights of civilians, prevent civilian harm, protect civilians caught in conflict, and amend harm.
Accepted applicants will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of products on both domestic and international issues for internal and external audiences. You should be eager to work on big-picture creative strategy, while also ready, willing, and able to review and edit existing footage with an eye to detail and with pride in your final product. We will seek to utilize your existing skills, develop others, and give you the opportunity to grow professionally while contributing to a critically important cause. We will work to make your experience meaningful and memorable, both professionally and personally.
In exchange, we expect you to bring a positive attitude and professional approach to your work, regardless of the size or length of the assignment. We will select candidates who seek both to contribute and to learn and who understand the balance between taking initiative and seeking direction. Successful candidates will recognize the role they have to play in the larger success of the organization in service to civilians in conflict zones around the world.
Minimum Time Requirement: Applicants should be available for a minimum 20 hours/week for a period of at least 3 months
This is an unpaid internship with a small stipend for food and travel. You must be eligible to work in the United States for this internship; we are not able to provide or sponsor visas.
This is an opportunity to gain experience working with an international advocacy organization and build your videography portfolio. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
· Reviewing and logging existing footage;
· Creating a series of short films based on existing footage;
· Contributing to org-wide strategy around use of video;
· Capturing new footage for current or future use;
· Working with the Communications and/or Program teams on social media channels;
· Designing graphics, including infographics;
· Assisting with operations and office-related tasks as needed; and
· Functioning as a self-sustaining member of our team.
This internship is open to graduate-level students or those who have recently completed graduate studies, or who are undergoing their graduate studies.
The intern will report to CIVIC’s Associate, Communications in the Washington, DC office.
· Preference will be given to students who have earned or are earning degrees in filmmaking, film studies, or similar focus.
· Preference will be given to applications with enthusiasm for working with nonprofits and passion for our cause.
· Applicants should be flexible, organized, professional, have confidence in handling multiple tasks, and have the ability to work both in a team and independently. Interns will be expected to maintain a level of confidentiality and discretion when working with sensitive information.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Submit to CIVIC on our online system 1) a cover letter indicating your interest; 2) your resume; 3) a portfolio sample (e.g., a document with a link to your reel or links to completed projects specifying the role you played in each project).
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...