About the World Bank Group
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
VPU Context : Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries. ITS services range from: establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions. The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group. ITS is one of three VPUs that have been brought together as the World Bank Group Integrated Services (WBGIS), to provide enhanced corporate core services and enable the institution to operate as one strategic and coordinated entity.
Department Context : The mission of the Corporate Information Technologies Department (CIT) is to leverage technology to enable IFC’s strategic priorities and to support IFC’s business and operations. By acting as the technology partner and business enabler, the department provides state-of-art information and technology solutions to support IFC’s Investment & Advisory Services, Financial Operations, Treasury & the Asset Management Company. We work closely with the business to design solutions that automate business processes, help enable business responsiveness to clients, improve operational efficiency and organizational effectiveness, and manage risks. We are committed to delivering business solutions that deliver value for money while we continue to excel at the basics by providing IFC with an integrated digital platform that connects policies, processes, people, and knowledge across the institution in a holistic and staff-centric manner. CIT aims to ensure that our solutions meet the business needs of users across a range of functions including operations and corporate business processes, information, knowledge and learning, data and analytics, and more.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
CIT is seeking a Manager to lead, guide, and manage the Solutions and Data team (CITSD). His/her prime duties and responsibilities are:
• Direct oversight of the use and choice of technology and solution for all IFC’s IT applications including operational, finance, budgeting and knowledge applications.
• Injecting technology innovation within IFC products and driving the next generation data and analytics platform enabling data driven decisions for IFC business.
• Helping ensure that IFC solutions will be built leveraging modern digital delivery models that incorporate design thinking, modern application architectures, modular design of solutions, cloud platforms and accelerators like edge computing, microservices and containers, modern sourcing techniques, data engineering and science, DevSecOps, lean and agile, performance engineering and appropriate integration of IT services or platforms.
• Achieving overall client satisfaction, cost effectiveness, and timely delivery of projects and enabling the transformation of the business portfolio to meet modern standards and client expectations.
• Working with multiple vendors and product teams on varying contractual terms and conditions to delivering secure and high performing applications
• Serving as CIT's liaison to other shared service providers within ITS such as Enterprise Platforms, Enterprise Architecture, Office and Information Security, Networking and infrastructure to provide value-added IT products and services in a responsive and cost-effective manner.
• Collaborating with other ITS peer groups to ensure architectural robustness and consistency, adhering to industry best practices and agreed WBG architectural standards.
• Supervision of 15+ staff and more than 100 contractors.
• Reporting to the CIT Director & CIO, the manager will act as a key technology adviser to the IFC CIO.
The Manager, Solutions and Data is responsible for performing activities in the following areas:
Solutions and Results to Clients:
• Manages client relationship, design and solution approaches, and associated delivery for IFC IT’s portfolio of business applications throughout the entire lifecycle from inception through implementation, deployment, maintenance, and retirement pertaining to IFC operational, knowledge, accounting and budgeting systems, and cross cutting solutions.
• Applies deep technology know-how to identify opportunities to shape the future of IFC business through technology and innovation.
• Provides technological guidance to IFC business stakeholders, develops and implements scalable solutions.
• Works closely with the CIT Director and CIO to help drive the transition of CIT towards an agile operating model and drive technology innovation and simplification of processes to deliver business value quicker and better using an agile and lean operational model.
• Partners with CIT frontline operations, frontline finance and run the business teams to minimize gaps, redundancies, rework, and duplication of effort by coordinating new cross cutting capabilities across the IFC IT portfolio, with a specific focus on DevSecOps, cloud and other emerging technologies.
• Clearly articulates and evangelizes to IFC business the benefits that technology alignment with industry best practices will provide and drive them as part of the application implementation lifecycle.
• Leverages emerging technology industry trends, including design thinking, agile, cloud solutions, edge computing, microservices and containers-based architecture, performance engineering, process automation, big data, DevSecOps.
• Provides strategic thinking and advisory to IT and business leadership.
• Leads the build and support of management reporting, data driven decision systems, data and analytics applications and platforms, leveraging emerging technologies like analytical engines, text analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence as necessary.
• Ensures well architected platforms and applications are built on a foundation of enterprise technology standards and enterprise security.
• Ensures that projects within the portfolio are executed under strategic guidelines (technology standards, development methodology, outsourcing/offshoring, etc.).
• Uses deep technology know-how across a broad range of technology and functional domains to advise the department and IFC business on technology.
• Manages solution, business and information architecture, solution design and implementation support for IFC’s application landscape throughout the entire lifecycle from inception through implementation, deployment, maintenance, and retirement.
• Models exemplary WBG leadership values and managerial behaviors and reinforces these qualities in own team and staff.
• Drives and inspires technical excellence within the team and the unit by creating an environment of learning and innovation that attracts and develops the best talent reflective of the diversity of our clients.
• Manages and mentors IT staff to provide state-of-the-practice services as per ITS PMO standards in planning, developing, implementing, and maintaining systems in a responsive and cost-effective manner.
• Supports management in developing and implementing appropriate strategies for global staffing, deployment, talent and performance management.
• Leads the technology delivery for IFC systems and applications including key transformational programs underway - iPortal, Access IFC, Web platforms, Next Generation Data platform and analytics.
• Manages cross cutting services for IFC applications including monitoring, performance engineering, and logging.
• Has an in-depth understanding of IFC technology platforms and domains and its underlying processes and data.
• Works closely with the Office of Information Security and application delivery teams to ensure that applications are aligned with the institutional security guidelines and processes and the security posture of IFC applications is strong.
• Minimizes gaps, redundancies, rework, and duplication of efforts by working closely with business users and stakeholders; and coordinates new solutions with them and other CIT Business Portfolios.
• Leads feasibility, risk, regulatory compliance, and ROI analyses for proposed projects; presents recommendations related to project feasibility.
• Manages allocated resources efficiently and effectively (including financial, human resources and technology).
• Collaborates closely with senior business leaders/management to manage expectations, provides status updates on project and discusses concerns; ensures resolution of concerns/issues.
• Facilitates the prioritization of requirements (new development, enhancements, and maintenance) across the business areas by identifying constraints with regards to delivery capacity, business area absorptive capacity, finance industry trends and IT sourcing availability by working closely with business users and sponsors.
• Manages vendor relationships – for products, projects and services – assuming responsibility for authorized licenses, contract adherence, and associate upgrades.
• Streamlines institutional content management systems and data dissemination platforms/tools.
• Assumes accountability for integrating the work of multiple large teams spread across geographical locations and multiple vendors to deliver project success.
• Participates as a peer with senior IFC and ITS leadership in developing long term plans and strategies that have an enterprise-wide focus.
• Provides special insights and expertise that ensures that breakthroughs and competitive advantage through technology are realized.
• Develops and implements strategies to ensure that the IFC and ITS can attract and retain top IT talent. By acting as a 'thought leader' and developing a network of contacts in the community, this role increases the status of the IFC and ITS as an employer for top IT talent thus contributing to the IFC's ability to attract and retain technical staff.
• Ensure ability to scale services to meet new business demands and enable the team to plan for and respond to spikes in capacity demands.
• Create an inclusive environment for staff and be a role-model to IFC’s diversion and inclusion agenda
• CIT Director and CIO: The candidate will work closely with the CIT CIO with an emphasis on providing technical thought leadership, alignment with the enterprise strategy on cloud, mobile and innovative technologies thereby strengthening the client centric service delivery.
• CIT Leadership Team: As a core and integral part of the CIT Leadership Team, the candidate will work closely with the frontline client facing teams to build robust, scalable, and highly performing solutions catering to business needs.
• ITS Shared services teams: Will act as the anchor point and liaison for the shared service engagements related to cloud and on-premise platforms and services, information security, enterprise architecture, networking, infrastructure, technology and innovation. Will contribute as a thought leader in ITS enterprise level discussions and committees.
• CITSD Staff: Provide Leadership and manage a team of professionals of around 20 staff with diverse functional, technical, and cultural backgrounds. This includes mentoring of IT staff to provide state-of-the-practice services as per industry standards in planning, developing, implementing and maintaining systems in a responsive and cost-effective manner.
• Vendors: Works with sourcing teams to ensure that the right vendor teams are procured at the right terms and conditions. Leads governance and program management discussions with senior and executive leadership from vendors establishing strong partnership and collaboration.
• Passion for the WBG mission.
• Advanced degree in IT or related discipline and with at least 15 years of relevant experience, 10 of which of supervisory capacity.
• Industry recognizable management and technical certifications in the areas of architecture, security, solution designs etc. also an advantage.
• At least 10 years of experience in the design, delivery and marketing of information, data and technology services to clients.
• In depth understanding of current and latest technology trends, emergency technologies, and how to leverage them to support business objectives.
• Demonstratable experience in the latest approaches to information technology solutions, thought leadership on strategic alignment with industry trends, and data/content disclosure control are required.
• Possession of a combination of deep technical understanding, relationship management, financial management experience, proven leadership, and pragmatism to take stock of the status of the portfolio and make improvements in a decisive and objective manner.
• Ability to objectively negotiate and facilitate trade-offs, build consensus and commitment to a ‘best value’ direction among multiple stakeholders, often with broadly divergent frames of reference and competing interests, within a multinational institution.
• Proven track record with leading matrixed teams and working collaboratively across organizational boundaries and partners to achieve program objectives.
• Understanding of the IFC’s line of business – this includes IFC products, Policies and Procedures for investment, advisory and trade middle office services, risk – financial and nonfinancial, financial management, safeguards, external funds and board operations will be preferred, but not mandatory.
• Familiarity with World Bank Group IT environment, compliance requirements, policies, standards, and procedures.
• Must be a clear and logical thinker with an open and innovative mind, and the ability to think outside the box.
• Demonstrable qualities of being resourceful, resilient, and versatile.
• The ability to handle tough deadlines, and multiple demands from multiple sources.
• Positive attitude and highest ethical standards are a must.
The nature of this function demands that it be led by an experienced manager with deep technical understanding and keen business analytic ability to ensure that opportunities are seized to optimize efficiency, effectiveness (elimination of redundant tasks), and outstanding communication/leadership skills. From a domain perspective, this requires that the candidate have:
• High level of technological awareness. Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; Actively and closely works with business stakeholders and sponsors to apply technology to appropriate tasks and processes; Shows willingness to stay abreast of new technology trends and drives practical implementation of these for IFC business needs.
• Ability to articulate complex technology concepts clearly and simply based on the audience and focusing on the inherent business value and benefits.
• Experience in managing client relationships with multiple business sponsors, IT stakeholders and vendors.
• Experience at a managerial level in designing, developing, implementing and overseeing very large and complex centralized and globally distributed institutional systems.
• Experience in both waterfall and agile software development methodologies.
• Up-to-date, best practice experience with SDLC, including agile and lean operating models, management of on-site/offshore development teams and leading effective outsourced IT teams.
• A robust, cross-functional perspective to be able to bridge the business to information technology gap.
• Experience in emerging technology industry trends, including design thinking, agile, cloud solutions, edge computing, microservices and containers-based architecture, performance engineering, process automation, big data, DevSecOps, networking.
• A perceptive and diplomatic ability to sort out cost-effective and common approaches that meet identified business requirements.
• Significant experience in IT Portfolio Program Management - The candidate must possess a clear mastery of IT program management and delivery, excellent client relationship management skills, and proven team leadership skills. As well as well-articulated awareness of fundamental aspects of business applications and enterprise data store approaches. S/he must have a clear understanding and appreciation of the agility needed to support changing corporate objectives in a dynamic marketplace. Moreover, the candidate must exhibit a clear comprehension and appreciation for the postulates and practice of IT Governance.
• Program and portfolio management – experience in strategy, planning, monitoring progress, managing resources and reporting progress.
• Client Understanding and Advising - Acts as a credible business partner and works with a long-term VPU-wide perspective in addressing clients' needs.
• Learning Orientation - Stays abreast of broad new trends and developments in the industry and ensures that best practices are incorporated into the normal approaches taken by the VPU to enhance the business.
• Broad Business Thinking - Maintains a deep understanding of key business issues and the broader WBG-wide ramifications of individual account decisions to ensure consistency across WBG. Partners with business leaders to sponsor long-term enterprise-wide initiatives.
• Negotiation - Clarifies strategic expectations and principles of the enterprise.
• Project Management (ITS) - Sought after as an expert in Project and Program Management.
• Risk Management - Determines the probability of risk and sets the degree of tolerance for major investments and strategic decisions.
• Service Provider Assessment and Evaluation - Develops the rationale for using, or not using, external vendors for projects or functions.
• System Development Life Cycle Knowledge (SDLC) - Manages the SDLC for existing projects.
• Team Management – Supervisory experience in leading software development teams, coaching and mentoring staff.
• Diverse Teams – experience in building diverse teams from various backgrounds, cultures and geographies.
WBG Leadership Values and Managerial Behaviors
• Leadership of Self: Role model the change and values for WBG; Demonstrate courage of convictions, ownership and self-mastery within the organization in accordance to our values.
• People Leadership: Lead and inspire staff to perform and deliver for better results; Help others achieve their fullest potential through coaching and mentorship.
• Collaborative Leadership: Be mutually accountable for entire WBG’s corporate targets and success; Work across WBG and with clients and partners to achieve better results.
• Client Solutions Leadership: Be the leading provider of development solutions for country clients; Provide leadership in both knowledge generation and knowledge sharing.
• Decisive Leadership: Take informed risks and make decisions in a transparent manner resulting in transformative impact for clients; Commit to decisions once they have been made.
WBG 5 Managerial Competencies: Courage of your convictions; Leading Teams for impact; Influencing across boundaries; Fostering openness to new ideas; and Building talent for the future.
WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Lead and Innovate; Deliver Results for Clients; Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries; Create, Apply and Share Knowledge; and Make Smart Decisions.
Povertyhas no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differencesand we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgroundsfrom around the globe.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...